Self-Help’s latest annual report is now available! The online report covers all facets of our work in 2018, including our credit unions, business and nonprofit lending, real estate development and advocacy.
Behind every loan and every partnership, there’s a story. Here are just a few of the people you’ll meet in the report:
- Stephanie Terry, a chef in Durham, North Carolina who has spent years building a creative catering business.
- Elia and Laura Rodriguez, sisters in the Chicago area who operate a business to help immigrants with taxes, insurance and more.
- Hilda Soto, who was able to refinance out of a bad loan and keep the home where she and her three children live.
- Sister Ann Kendrick, one of the renowned "Apopka Nuns" who founded our credit union in Apopka, Florida.
- Steven Ceccarelli, who is growing a green business and bringing new jobs to a rural North Carolina area.
The report includes stories of faith and persistence, and also a lot of celebration.
For example, in 2018 we marked the tenth anniversary of Self-Help Federal Credit Union, based in California.
We expanded our service area by merging with two credit unions in South Carolina.
In Durham, NC we completed the new Angier Business & Children's Center, which is offering new jobs and services in an underserved neighborhood.
And in Apopka, FL we built a new branch to continue a legacy of affordable financial services to farmworkers and families in that area.
This is a just a sample; there's much more. Read the report now, and stay up to date all year round by subscribing to our newsletter and blog.