Self-Help Credit Union has announced that every branch is again awarding a student a $500 grant to recognize students active in their community. With 21 branches, Self-Help expects to award $10,500.
Applicants will be evaluated on proven commitment to community service through leadership or volunteer activities. The scholarships will be awarded to a local student enrolled in an accredited post-secondary educational institution. Eligible institutions include colleges, universities, technical, trade and vocational schools.
Applications, including a 300 word essay, must be returned no later than Friday, May 6, 2016 to a local branch or to the address shown on the application. The scholarship application as well as additional guidelines and requirements can be found at www.self-help.org (search for “scholarship”) or at any branch. Self-Help’s branch locations are listed below:
Western North Carolina Region Branches (10)
- Asheville at 391 South French Broad Avenue
- South Asheville at 1911 Hendersonville Road
- Brevard at 40 Forest Gate Dr. in Pisgah Forest
- Hendersonville at 855 Spartanburg Highway
- Lexington (336) 249-5642
- Maiden 505A Island Ford Road
- Morganton 705 West Fleming Drive
- Old Fort at 217 Catawba Street
- Rosman at 59 Chestnut Street West Suite 1
- Galax, Virginia at 305 Railroad Avenue
Triad/Triangle Branches (4)
- Durham at 123 W Main St.
- Durham at 601 S. Mangum S (d/b/a Greater Piedmont CU)
- Durham at 3901 N. Roxboro St., #202 (d/b/a Greater Piedmont CU)
- Greensboro at 3400 Battleground Avenue
Eastern North Carolina Branches (7)
- Kinston at 1910 West Vernon Avenue
- Laurinburg at 701 South Main Street
- Wilson at 2301 Madison Drive
- Roanoke Rapids at 1330 E. 10th St.
- Pineville at 10827 Pineville Road (d/b/a Greater Piedmont CU)
- Windsor at 302 W. Granville St
- Wilmington at 307 South College Road
# # #
Self-Help is a community development credit union and lender headquartered in Durham, NC. Founded in 1980, Self-Help has provided over $6.9 billion in financing to 112,000 families, individuals and businesses underserved by traditional financial institutions. It helps drive economic development and strengthen communities by financing hundreds of homebuyers each year, as well as nonprofits, child care centers, community health facilities, public charter schools, and residential and commercial real estate projects. Through its credit union network, Self-Help serves over 120,000 people in North Carolina, California, Chicago and Florida and offers a full range of financial products and services. Learn more at www.self-help.org.